Hurlford United

Irvine Meadow 2 - 4 Hurlford United - West Cup 1st Round

By Hurlford United, 21st Oct 2013

For highlights click here

Hurlford made the short journey to Meadow park full of optimism following their recent win at Kirkintilloch. The Ford welcomed back defender Neil McGregor with Martyn Brown dropping to the bench. Hurlford started positively and on the 11th minute McGregor was unlucky not to open the scoring when he headed narrowly past following a Masterton corner. But the Ford were shocked when Meadow took the lead on the 17 th minute following an excellent strike from the Meadow number 6 from all of 30 yards giving Brown in the Ford goal no chance. Hurlford continued to press looking for an equalised and Taz went on one of his mazy runs only to be fouled at the edge of the Meadow box by the Meadow defender Staunton, who was shown a yellow card ( this was to prove costly) Masterton took the free kick but the Meadow wall stood firm and the ball was knocked away for a corner.

On the 22nd minutes the Meadow went 2 up when striker Maxwell rode several Ford challenges before laying the ball off the McCann at the edge of the Ford box who beat Brown with a low shot. On 27 minutes the Ford almost pulled one back when Masterton tried his luck from 30yards only to see his shot bounce off the post. 2 minutes later Neilson headed over the Meadow bar following yet another Ford corner. The game then took a twist following an off the ball clash between Danny Mitchell and Staunton of the Meadow with the latter collapsing in a heap holding his face. The referee who had an excellent game was no more than 3 yards from the incident and had a clear view, Booked Mitchell for his part and then showed Staunton a second yellow followed by a red for simulation much to the disgust of the home support. Hurlford pressed home their numerical advantage and in the 45th minute they were rewarded when following a free kick, McGregor found himself unmarked in the 6 yard box and easily slotted home.
Hurlford made some tactical changes with Watt and Cameron replacing Neilson and Paterson. These changes had a positive effect on the ford who laid siege to the Meadow goal who were now forced to defend deeply. Wave after wave of attacks had the Meadow defence at full stretch with Taz being a continual threat. A goal was coming and the Ford fans didn’t have long to wait On the 54th minute Cameron fired in a cross and Kean got ahead of his marker to slot home from close range. Hurlford were flying and ten minutes later they got their noses in front when Watt gathered the ball inside the Meadow box he then turned and shot forcing the Meadow keeper into a great save although he was unable to hold the ball and the onrushing Dempster acrobatically slotted home. 3 Minutes later Brown in the Ford goal had to be at his best with an excellent save to keep the Fords lead intact. All roads were now leading to the meadow goal and the Meadow goal was under siege with both Masterton and Taz striking the woodwork. On the 80th minute Kean made way for Ross Robertson and within 2 minutes Robertson completed the scored shooting home from the edge of the box.

So Hurlford march into round 2 of the Cup and on this performance who would bet on them making further progress in this competition .
Hurlford United : Brown, McGregor, Neilson, G Mitchell, Paterson, McKenzie, D Mitchell, Masterton Kean, Dempster, Byrne.
Subs: Cameron, Watt, Robertson, Wilson, Brown

Hurlford play host to New Elgin Fc on Saturday 26th October2013 in round 2 of the Scottish Junior Cup Kick Off is 2.30pm Adults £5 OAP £2.50

The club were saddened by the news that Former Hurlford United player Tam McCULLOCH has passed away at his home in South Africa. Hurlford United offer their condolences to tams family.

News Sponsors